Resources for Treating Tinnitus
According to the Australian Tinnitus Association, nearly 1 in 5 Australians have experienced the ringing, buzzing or whistling, swooshing sensation in their ears otherwise known as tinnitus. 90% of people with tinnitus also have hearing loss.
As many clinicians know the impact tinnitus varies greatly from person to person but the condition often severely affects quality of life and is difficult to treat. Below are some links to resources to help care for this patient population.
Resources for Patients
Patients with tinnitus differ but they are all looking for relief. Many patients will have done some research by the time they reach the clinic and some may be very well-informed. Providing additional resources may help these patients respond more positively to the treatment plans you propose. The newly released Relax Tinnitus Relief App (Apple Store/Google Play) is a free resource and self-management tool for patients, also intended for incorporation into a hearing professional’s sound therapy protocol for those diagnosed with tinnitus.
Personalised Treatment Plans
Information obtained through case history, questionnaire, and audiometric evaluation provide a detailed picture of the impact tinnitus is having on quality of life. Using this, your ihear clinicians can formulate a personalised treatment plan for you.
Tinnitus Organisations or Related Groups
Recommended Books, Articles, and Websites for the Professional
- Tinnitus: Theory and Management. Snow, J.B. (2004) Hamilton, Ontario: BC Decker.
- The Psychological Management of Chronic Tinnitus: A Cognitive-Behavioral Approach Henry, J.L. & Wilson, P.H. (2001). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Tinnitus Treatment: Clinical Protocols. Tyler, R.S. (2006). New York, NY: Thieme Medical Publishers Inc.
- Clinical Practice Guideline: Tinnitus. Tunkel, D.E., Bauer, C.A., Sun, G.H., Rosenfeld, R.M., Chandrasekhar, S.S., Cunningham, E.R., Whamond, E.J. (2014). Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 151(2S), S1-S140
- The Role of the Audiologic Evaluation in Progressive Tinnitus Management. Henry, J.A., Zaugg, T.L., Myers, P.J., Kendall, C.J., Schechter, M.A. (2008). Trends in Amplification, 12 (3), 170-87.
- A Triage Guide for Tinnitus. Henry, J.A., Zaugg, T.L., Myers, P.J., Kendall, C.J., Michaelides, E.M. (2010). J Fam Practice, 59(7), 389-393.
- National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR)
- Dr. Richard Tyler at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Mindfulness Based Tinnitus Stress Reduction Online course
ihear Morayfield may be able to help. Call now on 5428 1600 or visit them on Ground Floor, Health Hub Morayfield.
Article sourced from ihear Australia, www.ihear.com.au